The "Right" Mix

1

Written on Sunday, March 26, 2006 by Rohan Koshy

Reading a lot has convinced me of one fact:-Work with the right people and you won’t waste half your time fighting internal fires. What that means really is that if you pick your partners properly you'll be much better off and have a good chance of getting things done on time. I came to realize this really when i had to complete my B.E. project in quite a short span of time. Though not completed yet, we have reached the final stages before anyone else and I’m convinced it's because I partnered with the right guys.

My project is quite ambitious and challenging. Really an untested concept but while choosing the right project I really looked at the people with me. So when the right guys invited me to join I jumped at the chance. And when the right project guide offered the project I was convinced though challenging, the project could be done.

So now that I know that the concept works I’m happy I was right. Choosing the right people to work with circumvents a lot of the future obstacles. There have been no accusations of laziness or not pulling weight (for the most part anyway!!!).
One is probably the hardest worker in my class and the other, well, is good at what he does. So we’ve spent all of the time on the project and less on irritating each other. Which is what I notice has happened in many other project groups. Everyone wants to be the leader and everyone thinks they’re right. Even getting the right guide was a huge boost. It would never have gotten done if not for the tenacity of my project guide.

Though B.E. projects have a lot of room for error and time wasting and things can get done even with the wrong people it’s easy to see why the companies pay so much for the top brass. The right environment along with the right people produces fantastic results.
This whole concept can be extended to everything we do. If you want to do something go ask the best people and you’ll save half your troubles. Study with the scholars, play and eat with the athletes, sing with the musicians, (go shopping with women!!!)…

So to quote from a book….
“Before you drive your bus, get the right people on it, the wrong people off it and then figure out where to steer it”

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous |

    I was with you there, right until you said go shopping with women. Now, I do that often (cause guys hate shopping). And will preach that 'time' is a factor that should be left out when shopping with girls. Cause you will visit the same shop/product a few times over until you are given permission to buy it. Seriously. And never go against that decision lest you wanna shop alone the next time.

    You do end up buying the best option when with girls. Only you wonder if it was worth all that effort.

     

Post a Comment